User Manual Issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
We have an internal collection of user manual issues. Issues means things that aren't clear to us (from descriptions in the manual) or plain wrong.

I thought it might be convenient (for µC users as well as developers) if all such findings are collected in a single place. Just post the µC user manual issues you found therein:

I will try to keep a list of all posted issues up to date in this first post of the thread.

XC878 UM 1.1
- (Section 7.3.4) The PLLBYP bit is write protected, this is not documented in the OSC_CON register description
- (Section 5.6.3) IRCON2 lists bit CANSRC3 at bit 3, all other sources place it at bit 4
- (Table 16-5) Everything is plain wrong, e.g. PANCTR is listed at address 0x01C4, but the correct address is 0x0071, I haven't found a single correct address or offset in that table
- (Table 4-5) Lists FEAH as FEAL
- (Section 4.9) FCS.FTOV bit mentioned in section 4.4 does not exist
- (Figure 5-6) NMISR is spelled NMIISR
- (Section 9.1) The warning period 30H should be 3000H
0 Likes
6 Replies
Not applicable
Added XC878 UM 1.1:
- (Section 4.9) FCS.FTOV bit mentioned in section 4.4 is not described
- (Table 2-1) MOVC @(DPTR++),A and TRAP have the same op-code 0xA5
0 Likes
Not applicable
kamikaze wrote:
Added XC878 UM 1.1:
- (Section 4.9) FCS.FTOV bit mentioned in section 4.4 is not described
- (Table 2-1) MOVC @(DPTR++),A and TRAP have the same op-code 0xA5
As it turns out 0xA5 is the only reserved op-code in the 8052 standard. EO.TRAP_EN can be used on the XC878 to set what the op-code actually does.

The bit FCS.FTOV doesn't seem to exist at all. At least not in the FCS register.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks a lot for this list, it is much appreciated. We are looking into the issues and updating the UM accordingly.

And yes, as you mentioned, EO.TRAP_EN is used to select the instruction executed by op-code 0xA5.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Ah, thanks a lot. Is there an update schedule?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Added:

XC878 UM 1.1
- (Figure 5-6) NMISR is spelled NMIISR
0 Likes
Not applicable
Added:

XC878 UM 1.1
- (Section 9.1) 30H should be 3000H
0 Likes