200 Volt to 160 Volt buck smps.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
User16753
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

I have a circuit to convert 200 Volts to a regulated 160 Volts at 35 Amps, the cuircuit works ok.
I want to convert the circuit so it uses a N-MOSFET instead of a P-MOSFET and improve the switching efficiency and reduce the number of components.

What part do i choose?

Gary
0 Likes
1 Solution
Emanuel
Employee
Employee
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored
Hi Gary,

Sorry for the late reply and happy new year!
I am sorry to see the model is not converging. While we do test our models thoroughly, some conditions are not observed and convergence problems arise.
Please contact your local sales or support team for problems regarding the model convergence.
They should be able to trigger a model update for you.

Best regards,
Emanuel

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Srivatsa
First comment on blog 10 sign-ins First like received
Hi Gary,

Pls look at XMC1000 or XMC4000 series of microcontrollers (www.infineon.com/xmc) for the control stage. IRS20752 / IR2125 gate drive for high side buck along with the right OptiMOS N-MOSFET (https://www.infineon.com/optimos).

You can look at 2ED2181 gate driver with above XMC controller and OptiMOS if you want to further improve the efficiency and use a synchronous buck. Some design guidelines are as shown below:

Buck Converter Design app note at https://www.mouser.de/pdfdocs/BuckConverterDesignNote.pdf
Synchronous buck explorer kit at https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AP32319_Synchronous_Buck_converter_with_XMC_Digital_Power_Exp...

You can also contact local sales and FAE team in your region to further assist you with the right component selection for your design.

Thanks and regards,

Srivatsa
0 Likes
lock attach
User16753
Level 1
Level 1
Thank you Srivatsa,
I will look at the synchronous driver solution, do I need to add an extra power Schottky diode in series with the power inductor?
This PSU has output current transient and sometimes no load.
I think bootstrapping method without extra diode there must always be stable load current, otherwise electrolytic could dead short through the synchronous switch?
Also without extra diode, the output electrolytic must also be discharged to startup?

The challenge is to do this negative rail version as well, how do I do this?.

Gary
0 Likes
lock attach
User16753
Level 1
Level 1
Ok, I am making some progress, for my negative regulated 160 Volt rail, I need to use a 6n137 optoisolator and a bias power board for the gate driver and optoisolator, no problem.
The low side N-MOSFET driver to be a 1ED8550 & a non-synchronous inductor freewheel diode up to GND, possibly a silicon carbide Schottky diode.

I am having trouble simulating the 1ED8550 with PSpice because the GND is at to -200 Volts. Please see attachment.
The transient analysis simulation fails to converge.

Can someone make me a 1ED8550 model that works?

Thanks

Gary
0 Likes
Emanuel
Employee
Employee
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored
Hi Gary,

Sorry for the late reply and happy new year!
I am sorry to see the model is not converging. While we do test our models thoroughly, some conditions are not observed and convergence problems arise.
Please contact your local sales or support team for problems regarding the model convergence.
They should be able to trigger a model update for you.

Best regards,
Emanuel
0 Likes