SMU Configuration Steps

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User18259
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

Can someone help me checking if it`s correct to config the SMU by following 2 steps:

1. Config the Alarm Configuration Register Group: SMU_AGxCFy(x=0~6, y=0~2)
2. Start the SMU by set SMU_CMD.CMD = 0(=SMU_Start), SMU_CMD.ARG = 0

I`m not sure if there is some step missing or wrong. Please guide me.

Thank you in advance.
0 Likes
10 Replies
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored
Hi Macro. You should probably add configuring the FSP output to your list, and locking the SMU registers. Here's a more complete example.

_endinit_clear(); // Pad Driver Mode registers are endinit protected
P33_PDR1.B.PD8 = 0; // enable strong driver for the SMU output (default is weak)
_endinit_set();

P33_OUT.B.P8 = 1; // set P33.8 output high (inactive)
P33_IOCR8.B.PC8 = 0x10; // P33.8 push-pull output

_safety_endinit_clear(); // SMU registers are safety endinit protected
SMU_KEYS.B.CFGLCK = 0xBC; // unlock SMU configuration registers
SMU_PCTL.U = 0x83; // enable SMU fault output (causes P33.8 transition)

SMU_FSP.B.MODE = 0; // Fault Signaling Protocol configuration: 0=Bi-stable protocol

SMU_AG3FSP.U = 0x40000000; // enable ALM3[30]

// set ALM3[30] to 101b (SMU_NMI)
SMU_AG3CF0.U = 0x40000000;
SMU_AG3CF1.U = 0x00000000;
SMU_AG3CF2.U = 0x40000000;

SMU_KEYS.B.CFGLCK = 0x00; // lock SMU configuration registers

// Permanently lock SMU configuration registers
// - If you enable this, you can't use ReleaseFSP - the only way to get the SMU running again is through a reset.
//SMU_KEYS.B.PERLCK = 0xFF;

_safety_endinit_set(); // end SMU configuration - safety endinit protected

_endinit_clear(); // SCU NMI trap configuration is endinit protected
SCU_TRAPDIS.B.SMUT = 0; // enable SMU NMI trap generation
_endinit_set();

// Here the SMU is in the START state
// Deactivate the fault output with SMU_ReleaseFSP
//
SMU_CMD.U = 0x2; // ARG=0, CMD=2: SMU_ReleaseFSP(0)

// The SMU_Start command causes a transition from START to RUN
//
SMU_CMD.U = 0; // ARG=0, CMD=0: SMU_Start(0)
User18259
Level 1
Level 1
Hi wrangler,

Thanks for your great help.

Actually in my project the FSP is not available as it was used as GPIO for other purpose and the HW can not be changed, so I need to implement it in another way.

From the Table 9-24 SMU Alarm Configuration, there`re 6 options for each Alarm can be chosen:
0x2 - SMU_IGCS0
0x3 - SMU_IGCS1
0x4 - SMU_IGCS2
0x5 - SMU_NMI
0x6 - SMU_RESET
0x7 - SMU_IDLE

If we want to handle the SMU Alarm in application layer, how it interact with application SW ?
I`m thinking get the alarm info from ISR as the config 0x2~0x5 would route a interrupt to IR module,
but seems it`s not be able to distinguish which Alarm was set.

From the tc27x User Manual, I can not get a clear picture for the alarm handling, do you have any suggestion ?

Thank you sincerely.
0 Likes
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
Hi Macro. I recommend using SMU_NMI for the alarms your application deems critical. Non-Maskable Interrupts are handled by the CPU trap system, not the interrupt system. NMIs cannot be disabled, and all CPUs will receive the NMI trap at the same time.

If you use a CPU interrupt, your application might be disabling interrupts, or have CCPN set so that the SMU interrupt is not handled quickly enough.

It's simplest to handle SMU alarms as a one-way trip. Generally, the NMI handler should:

• Set the system to a safe state, which means microseconds, not seconds. Examples include: disable a bridge driver (stop driving a motor), disable a CAN transceiver (so you don't send out an incorrect message), etc.
  • Save context information into RAM somewhere. This can include which alarm was triggered (by reading SMU_ADx), but can also include where the CPU was executing (A11), and possible task-level information as well. If your handler needs a little more time, be sure to extend the watchdog recovery timers, or a reset will occur.
  • Remember that all CPUs get an NMI trap simultaneously, so don't write over the same saved context with each CPU.
  • Reset the system with a reset request (SWRSTCON.SWRSTREQ=1).
  • Note that the watchdog recovery timer alarms should be left at SMU_RESET, in case the CPUs fail to respond to the NMI. This covers the case where the CPU has mangled its BTV trap vector table, run out of context save areas, etc.

Trying to recover from an SMU alarm without doing a reset quickly becomes complicated. For example, consider what happens if a double-bit fault occurs in DSPR, resulting in an uncorrectable ECC trap when reading from that location. The NMI handler could simply write a 0 to that location, which would probably clear the ECC error, and continue. But the value at that location probably wasn't a 0 - how do you restart the software components that relied on that value? You'd have to map out a failure strategy for every variable your program uses, which spirals into a vast ocean of fault handling.
0 Likes
User18259
Level 1
Level 1
Hi wrangler,

Thank you again for your great help.

Now I`m trying to config the SMU in my project.

Do we have the training doc/example code for all hardware diagnostic mechanism which are under SMU handling?
since no much useful info can be found from Infineon website/forum..
0 Likes
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
Hi Macro. For any application using the SMU, the AURIX Safety Manual is a vital guide: it describes all the hardware safety mechanisms, as well as the Assumptions of Use that your application needs to address.

For the TC2xx generation, Infineon's SafeTlib software library ensures there are no latent faults within the safety mechanisms. For example, it injects a lockstep comparator error, and verifies that the SMU asserts the lockstep comparator alarm. SafeTlib requires a software license.

For the TC3xx generation, the addition of the Logic Built-In Self Test (LBIST) makes development much simpler: your application simply needs to make sure the 32-bit signature result of the LBIST matches the expected value.
User18087
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

I am experimenting with the watchdog timers. I found this example very useful for the CPU watchdog: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AURIX_Watchdog_1-Training-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d4626f2295...

Is it possible to provide a similar example for the safety watchdog timers? Where can I get the safetlib license for using with 297?
0 Likes
User18504
Level 3
Level 3
I am also writing here as probably it is also related to safety.
I am currently using the TC277_TFT board and in the schematic I see that the external IC TLF35584 is used which Infineon recommends to use also for Functional Safety.
I browsed the 240 pages!!! datasheet in order to get an idea about how this IC should work together with the Aurix, but the whole logic seems to need either an entire development team, or some already developed and tested
safety library.
Also on the schematic I see that the SS1/2 outputs are routed to a LED and to the Aurix.
Is this normal, or this is done just on the Evaluation Board, but in reality they should be disabling some actuators to ensure a safe state when the monitoring detects a problem?
0 Likes
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
Application Note AP32260 addresses integrating the TC2xx and the TLF35584. Infineon's SafeTlib includes a SafeWDG driver for the TLF35584.

The SS1/2 outputs should be attached to an output that will drive the system to a safe state. For example:
- For a sensor fusion system, you could tie SS1/2 to disable CAN transceivers, so that no incorrect CAN messages could be transmitted.
- For a motor control system, you could tie SS1/2 to disable a bridge driver, so that no incorrect motor motion would occur.

AP32342 includes examples for servicing the TLF35584 watchdog.
0 Likes
User18504
Level 3
Level 3
Hello, thanks for hint!
Where can I find this Application Note?
Do I need to have an infineon account?
0 Likes
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
Yes, you need to have a MyICP account with privileges to the Microcontroller / AURIX documentation area.
0 Likes