DAVE 4.4.2 & GCC8 Debugging Problems

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User17893
Level 1
Level 1
Hello everybody,

i recently upgraded to GCC8 according to this thread: https://www.infineonforums.com/threads/4645-Upgrading-GCC-in-DAVE4?

Compiling works fine and during debugging the microcontroller stops at breakpoints that were defined before launching the debugging configuration (see attached screenshot). So far, so good.

3729.attach

What doesn't work anymore with GCC8 is launching the exact same debugging configuration without breakpoints and hitting the "suspend" button while the microcontroller is running. If i do this nothing happens, except for the "suspend" button to become grey and unclickable. The only option then is to terminate everything (see second attached screenshot).
From another example program with a blinking LED i know that hitting the suspend button doesn't stop the microcontroller. The LED keeps blinking. Surprisingly when i use the Segger JLink GDB console directly, suspending the microcontroller works fine.

3730.attach

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
With GCC49 (comes as standard with DAVE) everything worked perfectly fine. I also tried other GCC versions. With GCC6 and newer the problem occurs. Until GCC54 everything works perfectly fine.

used software:
- Windows 10 64bit
- DAVE 4.4.2
- GCC8 2019 q3 (https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-...)
- Segger JLink 6.50a

used hardware:
- XMC Link Isolated Debug Probe
- XMC4800-E196x2048

Thanks!
0 Likes
5 Replies
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Sorry I cannot reproduce your observation. I'm using as well the latest GCC and the latest Segger JLink Software ( when I connected the XMC Link a firmware upgrade was triggered)
In my case when I update the Segger JLink software I overwrite the old version therefore in Preferences, Run/Debug>SEGGER J-Link, the path to the GDB server doe not contain any version information, i.e. C:/Program Files (x86)/SEGGER/JLink
0 Likes
User17893
Level 1
Level 1
@jferreira: So you can debug with full functionality using GCC8 GDB debugger and an XMC4800-E196x2048?

I found a workaround, that works for me at the moment. I use GCC8 for compiling, but for debugging i use the GCC54 GDB debugger.
3762.attach

That seems to work fine until now, but i am still wondering why newer GDB debugger versions don't work.
0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Yes, in my case I do not observe any problem.
0 Likes
User9906
Level 2
Level 2
Hello,

I am facing the descibed issue as well.
Debugging is not working correctly with GCC7 / GCC8 and DAVE 4.4.2

setup:
- Windows 7 64bit
- DAVE 4.4.2
- GCC7 / GCC8
- Segger JLink 6.56a

- XMC Link Isolated Debug Probe
- XMC4800-F100F2048
- SWD

With DAVE 4.3.2 both GCC7 and GCC8 work for bebugging.

We would really like to switch to 4.4.2 but the solution above (using an old/outdated version of gdb)
is not a real solution for us.

I already compared the settings of 4.3.2 and 4.4.2 but could not find any difference for now.
Are there any settings that need to be adjusted for GCC7 / GCC8 in 4.4.2 ?
0 Likes
User9906
Level 2
Level 2
I just updated the CDT from 9.2.0 (default) to 9.2.1 and now debugging seems to work with DAVE 4.4.2 and GCC7/8
--> https://www.infineonforums.com/threads/10493-DAVE4-plugins?p=24081&viewfull=1#post24081

Now I get the following (1st) message in the Debugger Console with GCC8:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU Tools ARM Embedded\8 2019-q3-update\bin\arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe: warning: Couldn't determine a path for the index cache directory.
GNU gdb (GNU Tools for Arm Embedded Processors 8-2019-q3-update) 8.3.0.20190703-git

- Do I have to worry about it?
- How can I resolve this message?
0 Likes