infineon@linkedin linkedin

infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DAVE 4.4.2 & GCC8 Debugging Problems

Beginner Beginner Clint is on a distinguished road

DAVE 4.4.2 & GCC8 Debugging Problems

Hello everybody,

i recently upgraded to GCC8 according to this thread: https://www.infineonforums.com/threads/4645-Upgrading-GCC-in-DAVE4?

Compiling works fine and during debugging the microcontroller stops at breakpoints that were defined before launching the debugging configuration (see attached screenshot). So far, so good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DAVE_GCC8_breakpoint.png
Views:	4
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	4138

What doesn't work anymore with GCC8 is launching the exact same debugging configuration without breakpoints and hitting the "suspend" button while the microcontroller is running. If i do this nothing happens, except for the "suspend" button to become grey and unclickable. The only option then is to terminate everything (see second attached screenshot).
    From another example program with a blinking LED i know that hitting the suspend button doesn't stop the microcontroller. The LED keeps blinking. Surprisingly when i use the Segger JLink GDB console directly, suspending the microcontroller works fine.

Name:	DAVE_GCC8_suspend.png
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	4139

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
    With GCC49 (comes as standard with DAVE) everything worked perfectly fine. I also tried other GCC versions. With GCC6 and newer the problem occurs. Until GCC54 everything works perfectly fine.

used software:
    - Windows 10 64bit
    - DAVE 4.4.2
    - GCC8 2019 q3 (https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-...-2019q3-update)
    - Segger JLink 6.50a

used hardware:
    - XMC Link Isolated Debug Probe
    - XMC4800-E196x2048

Thanks!

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    jferreira will become famous soon enough
    Sorry I cannot reproduce your observation. I'm using as well the latest GCC and the latest Segger JLink Software ( when I connected the XMC Link a firmware upgrade was triggered)
    In my case when I update the Segger JLink software I overwrite the old version therefore in Preferences, Run/Debug>SEGGER J-Link, the path to the GDB server doe not contain any version information, i.e. C:/Program Files (x86)/SEGGER/JLink
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Beginner Beginner Clint is on a distinguished road

workaround

@jferreira: So you can debug with full functionality using GCC8 GDB debugger and an XMC4800-E196x2048?

I found a workaround, that works for me at the moment. I use GCC8 for compiling, but for debugging i use the GCC54 GDB debugger.

Name:	DAVE_GCC8_GCC54debugger.png
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	4161

That seems to work fine until now, but i am still wondering why newer GDB debugger versions don't work.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    jferreira will become famous soon enough
    Yes, in my case I do not observe any problem.
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

+ Reply to Thread