+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I use the FPU for fast maths functions on the xmc4500. e.g. sqrt, pow, etc

Intermediate Intermediate

How do I use the FPU for fast maths functions on the xmc4500. e.g. sqrt, pow, etc

I need to perform maths functions like sqrt, pow, etc as fast as possible on the xmc4500.

Do I need to use an App to enable and utilise the Floating Point Unit (FPU) ?

Do I need to include an FPU specific maths library ?

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert

Hi Aaron,

The pow function is available in CMSIS. The math library is under C:\DAVE-3.1\CMSIS\Lib\GCC.
    What you need to do is:
    1) Go to Project -> Active Project Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> ARM-GCC C Compiler, add "__FPU_PRESENT" & "ARM_MATH_CM4" in the Preprocessor
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CompilerSetting_FPU.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	221
    2) Go to Project -> Active Project Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> ARM-GCC C Linker, add "arm_cortexM4_mathL_1" & "arm_cortexM4_mathL_2" in the Libraries (-l) and ""${eclipse_home}/.../CMSIS/Lib/GCC"" in the Libraries search path (-L)

Name:	LinkerSetting_FPU.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	222
    3) Add "#include <arm_math.h>"
    4) Use function "arm_power_f32(float32_t * pSrc, uint32_t blockSize, float32_t * pResult)"

As for the sqrt function, you can refer to previous "May 16th" post (http://www.infineonforums.com/thread...highlight=sqrt)

Best regards,
    Sophia
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Hi Sophia,

Fantastic, very very helpful. Thank you.

Best regards
    Aaron

Hi Sophia,

I made all the changes to my project. Unfortunately I get the following build errors...

c:/dave-3.1/arm-gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.6.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -larm_cortexM4_mathL_1
    c:/dave-3.1/arm-gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.6.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -larm_cortexM4_mathL_1

I found similar files on my PC...

C:\DAVE-3.1\CMSIS\Lib\GCC\libarm_cortexM4_mathL_1.a
    C:\DAVE-3.1\CMSIS\Lib\GCC\libarm_cortexM4_mathL_2.a

I changed the Libraries (-l) to "libarm_cortexM4_mathL_1" & "libarm_cortexM4_mathL_2" but this did not help.
    I changed the Libraries (-l) to "libarm_cortexM4_mathL_1.a" & "libarm_cortexM4_mathL_2.a" but this did not help.

Any ideas ?

Thank you very much
    Aaron

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert

Hi Aaron,

You didn't set the Libraries search path (-L).
    There are two settings in step 2:
    2a) Add libraries (-l) "arm_cortexM4_mathL_1" & "arm_cortexM4_mathL_2"
    2b) Add Libraries search path (-L) ""${eclipse_home}/.../CMSIS/Lib/GCC""

Pls follow the exact settings shown in LinkerSetting_FPU.jpg (Jul 5th post) , thanks.

Best regards,
    Sophia
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert

Hi Aaron,

There is another simple way to do "pow" function which is to use newlib library. What you need to do is:
    1) Go to Project -> Active Project Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> ARM-GCC C Linker, add "m" in the Libraries (-l)

Name:	LinkerSetting.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	224
    2) Add "#include <math.h>"
    3) Use function "float powf(float x, float y)"

The steps 1 & 2 are applicable for other math functions provided by newlib library (http://sourceware.org/newlib/libm.html).

Best regards,
    Sophia

New Member New Member
    The libraries search path is incorrect. It should be set to : ""C:\DAVE-3.1\CMSIS\Lib\GCC"". The libraries are not located in the eclipse_home directory (C:\DAVE-3.1\eclipse\CMSIS\Lib\GCC) but in. C:\DAVE-3.1\CMSIS\Lib\GCC

Thank you Sophia and Jochem.

I have implemented Sophia's suggestion (see below) and this is now working.

Best regards
    Aaron

1) Go to Project -> Active Project Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> ARM-GCC C Linker, add "m" in the Libraries (-l)

2) Add "#include <math.h>"
    3) Use function "float powf(float x, float y)"

Beginner Beginner Dmitry Podobedov's Avatar
    I have just measured the performance of fpu calculations (uc tackt clock 120 MHz).
    This is not very accurate, but close.

Approximately the number of uc tackts for functions/operations:

Operation/Function Tackts
    sqrtf 21
    sqrt 1000
    float++ 1
    float * float 1
    float / float 13
    sinf 1300
    sin 2300

sqrt is about 50 times slower as sqrtf! I think the sqrtf uses fpu implementation but the sqrt not. Means the float is fpu optimized, but double is not optimized!
    Last edited by Dmitry Podobedov; Jul 8th, 2013 at 05:38 AM.

Hi Dmitry, thankyou for the very interesting information. It will help me choose the right functions for fastest program execution.

Best regards
    Aaron

+ Reply to Thread