Incorrect USIC resources handling in DAVE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User6412
Level 4
Level 4
Hi everybody!

DAVE allows for XMC4500 only 4 USIC channels, but there are 6 channels in 3 USIC moduls (according to datasheet)!
Try to add in DAVE project (XMC4500 chip) 5 any USIC channels - it fails!
0 Likes
10 Replies
Not applicable
Hi,

This is because in our AA Step devices, the FIFO in the USIC 2 module has some hardware bug.
As the USIC DAVE App is using FIFO for its implementation, therefore USIC 2 is disabled.
You can still use USIC 2 if you could manually initialized the module but please note that the FIFO in USIC 2 shouldn't be used.
0 Likes
Not applicable
When will Dave support 3 USIC blocks? We have AB silicon and this is reported as fixed.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi danbeadle,

There is a new update od Device Descriptions that support XMC4500 AB step.
The Device Descriptions can only be downloaded by using the “Install DAVE Apps/Example Library”.
This is available in DAVE 3: > Help >Install DAVE Apps/ Example Library >Work with DAVE Apps Library Manager.
If you use the “Check for DAVE App Updates” functionality, the new Device Description libraries will not be shown because this are new Device Descriptions and not updates.

After you have update the Device Descriptions, you can create new project with AB step mcu.
Then, you are able to use 6 USIC channel in DAVE3.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks... Just what I needed...
0 Likes
User6383
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

is the same hardware bug at the XMC 4400 AA Step USIC_1?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Max_Rock,

This bug is not available in XMC4400 device.
May I know what bug you have encounter?
0 Likes
User6383
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Jackson,

it works now.
I add all apps first who i need for the projekt, after that i configure the apps.

Error message was:
HW resources not sharable constraint: Please check if the device has enough resources.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I'm getting a similar error ("HW resources not sharable constraint: Please check if the device has enough resources.") when trying to add a UART001 app. I'm on DAVE3.1.8 with all the most recent app updates.

The problem for me is that I don't have any other UARTs, only one SPI001 on USIC0CH0 and one I2C on USIC1CH0.

Is it not possible to have a UART, a SPI, and an I2C on the same application? I would assume USIC0CH1 or USIC1CH1 are available but I'm wondering if the USICs are configured for SPI/I2C and can't do double-duty as UARTs.

Thanks in advance,
Joe Shidle
joe.shidle@deltamobile.com
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Max_Rock and JoeShidle,

"HW resources not sharable constraint: Please check if the device has enough resources." refers to the HW resource has been used by two or more apps.
Did you made any manual assignment on pin or hardware resource?
If yes, it could be your configuration have some mistake.
Perhaps you can share your configuration here?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Jackson, thanks for the response.

I was able to fix the situation by moving two of my pre-existing GPIOs.

My initial confusion came from the availability of P0.0 and P0.1 in my design, and that these should normally be able to (according to the XMC4500 datasheet (v1p1)) be muxed to U1C1 DOUT0 (alt 2) and U1C1 DX0D.

I was able to identify U0C1 DOUT0 and U0C1 DX0A on pins P2.5 and P2.2 which were occupied by some GPIO. Moving the two GPIO away from P2.2 and P2.5 I was able to create a UART001 app in DAVE3 and assign the pins appropriately.

Thanks for the response,
Joe Shidle
0 Likes