Better performance for USBD_VCOM on XMC4500RK

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi,
I am working at a project which involves serial communication using the USB port on XMC4500 Relax Kit, for that I used USBD_VCOM app.
It is working but the performances are rather low, how could I increase the performances?
For example now the baudrate is at 9600, I would like to set it at the maximum. I would also want to increase the buffers length, I might be wrong but currently is limited at 64B.
Best regards,
S
0 Likes
3 Replies
Not applicable
Hi,

The baudrate is not 9600, it is actually transfer at USB speed which is 12mbps.
As for the 64Bytes, that is limited by the CDC stack (Max. size for Bulk transfer in Full speed mode).
How this USB works is that the UBS host (PC) will initiate the transfer from the USB device (XMC).
So when the USB host initiate the transfer from USB device, 64bytes of data will be transferred each time.
When transferring, the data is transfer at the speed of 12mbps.
After 64bytes of data is finished transferred, the USB Slave have to wait for the USB Host to initiate the next transfer.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thank you for your fast response, I have read a similar topic (http://www.infineonforums.com/threads/2177-XMC4500-USB-VCOM-speed-limit) before posting. For me it is not yet clear where the bottleneck occurs and if I can obtain better performances.
I am already using the eth port, do I have other alternatives for a faster communication PC -> XMC4500RK?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thank you for your fast response, I have read a similar topic (XMC4500-USB-VCOM-speed-limit) before posting. For me it is not yet clear where the bottleneck occurs and if I can obtain better performances, in my implementation it takes tens of seconds for about 100kB.
My setup is: Putty->VCOM->XMC4500RK->UDP->XMC4500RK->VCOM->Putty
I am already using the eth port, do I have other alternatives for a faster communication PC -> XMC4500RK?
0 Likes