MiniWiggler keeps connecting and disconnecting to / from USB port on laptop

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
After changing from a Windows XP to Windows 7 laptop my MiniWiggler would connect and disconnect periodically (e.g. every 5 to 60 seconds). All 4 laptop USB ports did the same. All USB and DAS drivers were the latest version.

Plugging the MiniWiggler into a USB port on the laptop docking station solved the problem so it appears the laptop USB 5V supply is problematic even though all other USB devices I have (mice, keyboards, memory sticks etc) work without problem. Maybe the current drawn from the 5V supply by the MiniWiggler is marginally too high.

Anyway, hopefully this experience will help others with the same symptoms.

Best regards
Aaron
0 Likes
2 Replies
siva90
Employee
Employee
but if that is the case shouldn't it be persistent in all the laptops and pcs
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Siva90,

We have been using the MiniWiggler with many laptops for 12 months without problems (mainly Dell Latitude E5510). The laptop with an issue is a Dell Precision M4800. I was surprised this laptop didn't work but our company IT department had experienced similar problems with other laptops and USB devices hence they suggested plugging the USB cable into the docking station.

I don't know the root cause but it is just something to be aware of.

Best regards
Aaron
0 Likes